Do I need to own a computer to attend?
Yes. However, based on financial need and eligibility, Great Basin Virtual Academy (GBVA) may loan a computer system (including computer, printer, and software) to support the learning process. These computer systems are instructional property and must be returned when the student leaves the school. GBVA will arrange for technical support and troubleshooting for these systems. Each family will need to secure their own Internet service provider.
What computer skills are required?
The teaching adult needs to have at least basic computer skills. Use of the computer is an important part of the program, but in the early grades, it is mostly the parent (or other responsible adult) who interacts with the computer. The program is user-friendly.
What does the computer system provided by GBVA include?
Computers provided by GBVA follow these technical specs:
- Speed: 1.8 GHz or better
- RAM: 2–4 GB
- Disk space: 160 GB or more
- DVD drive (optional on laptops)
- Monitor: 19–20-inch flat panel
- Laptop screen: 15.6-inch
- Audio: High definition sound card
- Modem: Ethernet port. Laptops include Nic card (Wi-Fi)
- Desktop microphone and headset microphones
- Operating system: Windows 7 Professional
- Microsoft Office 2010 or Microsoft Office 2013
- Microsoft® Internet Explorer version 10
- Google Chrome, most recent version
- Mozilla Firefox, most recent version
- Adobe® Acrobat® Reader®
- Adobe® Flash®
- Adobe® Shockwave®
- Java 8
- McAfee® Virus Protection
- McAfee® Web Protection or McAfee® SiteAdvisor®
Microsoft and Windows are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
Adobe, Acrobat Reader, Flash, and Shockwave are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.
QuickTime is a trademark or a registered trademark of Apple Inc.
RealPlayer is a trademark or a registered trademark of RealNetworks, Inc.
McAfee and SiteAdvisor are trademarks or registered trademarks of McAfee, Inc.